Monday, July 6, 2020

Day 33 Fredericktown MO to Seymour Indiana



We hadn’t even made it to Illinois and we came to a stop sign and I saw one of my headlights was hanging out of the frame. Neither Wade or I saw the outer ring come off. Wade was following me so you would have thought one of us would have seen it happen. Thankfully Wade had electrical tape and he was able to tape it back in place and it still works. 

We crossed the Mississippi River at Chester Illinois. Chester is home to “Popeye the Sailor Man”. The character Popeye is based on a real person and was created by Elzie Crisler Segar born in Chester in 1894. Several of the characters in the cartoon were created from his experiences with people in the town of Chester. The character Popeye was based on Frank ‘Rocky’ Fiegal, who was a one-eyed, pipe smoking brawler who never turned down a fight. Fiegel did not eat spinach but the rest of the caricature fit the Sailor Man exactly. Fiegel was a bartender who loved children and would impress them with his feats of strength. He also had a corncob pipe. 


Shortly before we crossed into Indiana, another strap broke on my luggage. I have been so blessed that none of the three straps that have broken have ended up in my wheel or caused me to have an accident. 

Tomorrow I need to go back to scenic photos instead of motorcycle issues😳


No comments: