Monday, June 22, 2020

Day 19 Santa Monica to Santa Maria CA



Wade and I decided to walk somewhere for coffee this morning. We arrived at a coffee shop and the gentleman came to the outside window and we asked for two coffees. He couldn’t sell us two coffees from the window. He couldn’t take our cash nor credit card. I seriously had to download an app, set up an account with my credit card to order two coffees while he offered to help get it set up. He indicated that this was the regulations they had to put in place because of COVID 19. There is no logical reason why that entire interaction was healthier for anyone. So we get our coffees and then decide to walk to Starbucks for another coffee. You could go in the store there and order your coffee and pay with money 🙄


So after drinking our two coffees on 3rd avenue while admiring the dinosaurs we decided to head up the coast on Rt 1. We were going to camp tonight because the cool weather of the summer Pacific coast is perfect for camping. However after a lot of research it is cheaper and easier to just get a hotel in CA. 




The weather was great riding weather. High was around 68 degrees and I actually got chilly in my leather coat a few times. When Rt 1 veered away from the coast, the terrain was not what we expected. It reminded us more of Colorado. We stopped in Lompoc CA for lunch. I have one saddle bag that I use to put my purse and key fob in while riding. When we go in places I have a key on my fob keychain that locks my saddle bags. When I came out of lunch, I unlocked my saddle bag to put my purse and key fob in there. I shut the saddle bag and it locked without me turning the key to lock it. So I could ride my bike, but my purse and key fob were locked in my saddle bag and we couldn’t get it open. The closest Harley dealer was closed. So I looked up locksmith’s and there was one in the town. I called and he told me to come on over. When I got there, he said he hadn’t seen a lock like mine. He didn’t have any codes for the new motorcycles. He said it uses a laser cut key like a car. He wasn’t optimistic he could get it open, but he finally did get it unlocked. I couldn’t help but laugh because if something freaky could happen, I seem to find a way on this trip to do it. We finished our day doing laundry at the hotel. Hopefully, I soon get all the kinks worked out of my new bike. Now to figure out what to do with my key fob when I don’t where my coat 🥴

No comments: